11/14/12

pomegranate seeds

I have a hybrid "thankful" post today from both me and Josh.  I asked him what he is thankful for and his immediate reply was "pomegranate seeds."  To fully understand this reply, you should know a few things:

1. Pomegranate season is relatively short and we are IN IT!
2. Pomegranate seeds take extreme patience to remove.
3. By the time we  (and by we I mean Josh) finish removing the seeds we have usually eaten more than half, leaving us little to show for the effort!

Now, to the part of this post that I am thankful for... a great tip from Martha Stewart.  She says an easy way to remove pomegranate seeds is:

1. Slice top and bottom of pomegranate;
2. Cut the pomegranate into quarters;
3. Hit the pomegranate with a wooden spoon until all of the seeds come out.  

We have about a 50% success rate with this method, but 50% is huge considering the work that goes into getting these little gems.  

So, today I am thankful for pomegranate seeds...and for tips to make removing them from the fruit easier!

The fruits of our labor...check back for recipes with pomegranate seeds!
xo,

2 comments:

  1. can't you sometimes get them in the freezer section (feel like have seen them at trader joes).... though I am sure they are not as good when they are fresh and the fruit (or seed) of your labor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pomegranate seeds (really good for you too) but am intimidated by having to retrieve them. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete