12/18/12

brownie batter truffles

1 week until Christmas!  Where has the time gone?!  Today I thought I would propose a little variety to the typical milk and cookies for Santa...brownie batter truffles!  Fair warning, these things are RICH and though they are yummy, Santa will probably only want to eat one or two at each sitting.  If your family doesn't leave out milk and cookies for Santa try this recipe to give out to your neighbors - I promise they won't be disappointed!

I originally saw this recipe on a blog I follow, Mel's Kitchen Cafe.  If you don't already know about it, check it out.  Mel posts a different healthy and quick recipe every day and she has fantastic (though less healthy) desserts.

The only real change I made to Mel's recipe is that I added fleur de sel to the top of my truffles (rather than the sprinkles she suggested.)  I think this recipe could also be fantastic with some caramel mixed in with the brownie batter and I might try that next time!  I hope you enjoy!




Brownie Batter Truffles
Recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

*Makes 2-3 dozen truffles

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 C unsweet cocoa powder (I used Hershey's powder)
  • 1 C granulated sugar
  • 1/2 C light brown sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 3/4 C flour
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 12 Tbs butter, melted
  • 8 oz. chocolate (I used the milk chocolate bars you can buy in the baking section of the store)
  • Fleur de sel (for garnish)


Directions:

  1. In a large bowl, combine the cocoa powder, sugar, brown sugar, salt and flour until it is well combined.  Stir in the vanilla and melted butter until the mixture forms a thick batter.  (If you want to try using caramel, I would add melted caramel squares to the mixture at this point.)
  2. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.  (I used a silpat sheet for this.) Roll the dough into small balls and place it on the parchment paper.  Refrigerate for about an hour until the brownie balls are set.
  3. Prepare another large baking sheet lined with wax or parchment paper (I used silpat again.)  Melt the chocolate.  (I used a microwave safe bowl and melted the squares of chocolate for 30 seconds, stirred, and repeated until the chocolate was completely melted.)  Drop a truffle into the chocolate and coat completely.  Using a fork, scoop the chocolate covered truffle out of the bowl and gently lay the truffle on the empty baking sheet lined with wax or parchment paper.  Repeat until all the truffles are coated.  Use fleur de sel on top of the truffles before the chocolate sets.  (*Important, the chocolate sets quickly!  I had Josh sprinkle the salt on top of the truffles about 30 seconds after they were placed on the baking sheet.  Much sooner and the chocolate will absorb the salt, but much longer and the salt will not stick.)
  4. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
Enjoy!
xo,
As a reminder, become a"follower" of my blog by clicking the "join this site" button on the right.  Thanks!






No comments:

Post a Comment