1/17/13

snow day reads

Happy Snow Day!  The good Floridian in me says to be excited and go run around and make a 3 inch snowman.  On the other hand, I have been a North Carolinian for a few years now so the snow really just makes me want to curl up and stay inside...in the climate controlled house.  (Don't take me too seriously- I did pull on my rain boots, put on my puffy jacket, and go tromping in the snow in my pjs with the pup last night...can't shake that Florida girl out of me it seems.)



For those of you whose tendencies lean more towards staying in on a snow day, today's post is "friday finds, reading list edition."   BUT, before we go any further, I need to make a few disclaimers:

(1) My reading preferences leans towards light-hearted and happy... I read way too many sad things in law school to add to the list when I am reading for pleasure (meaning no tear-jerkers no matter how happy the ending) 

(2) I love Jane Austen. 


Still with me?  Great.  Curl up and enjoy the snow day!  

1. Happier at Home.  Happier at Home is the follow-up to Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project.  I haven't read this one yet, but I am planning to crack it open TODAY.  The Happiness Project provides practical and small ways in which you can refocus your daily life to appreciate the things that really matter.  This follow up book promises the same simple tips but is focused primarily on relationships and your home life.  I'm tempted to tell you to run out and pick it up now because I know it will be great...but I will wait and actually give you a full review soon...promise!




2. The Pemberley Chronicles Series.  Like I said, I love Jane Austen.  Sadly, Jane Austen only wrote six novels (and a few shorter pieces that people have turned into stories) and I have read them all - 17 times each.  Needless to say, I am always on the hunt for a good Jane Austen spin-off series (harder to find than you would imagine) and I have found one!  In The Pemberley Chronicles, Rebecca Ann Collins continues the story of Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.  The best part of all, there are six books in the series so you don't have to worry about needing a new book too soon.



3. The Manhattan Diet.  I loved this book!  I don't usually get into books like this, but Eileen Daspin does a fantastic job of showing the different lives and lifestyles of the people she interviewed.  Packed full of tips on how to eat well and stay thin (eat full fat things...just have a small bite and be done), The Manhattan Diet is funny look at the lives of Manhattan women and the diets tricks they employ.





4. The Tipping Point.  Confession- I am not actually reading this one...I am listening to it on tape with Josh.  In the Tipping Point, Malcolm Gladwell explores what causes certain things to become phenomena.  With Josh starting his own business we are definitely listening closely to all the little things that go into making something a global sensation.  Even if you aren't in the market to create a trend, this book is fascinating and entertaining.



Do you have any favorites I should add to my list?

xo,
PS- Don't forget to shop my Charles Emerson Designs Party.  Get 10% off your order and be entered into a drawing to win a free pair of earrings when you use the discount code "PartyWithAnnie."


1 comment:

  1. I have the Happiness Project, The Manhattan Diet, and The Tipping Point on my bookshelves at home. I've been wanting to read the second Happiness book, and now I want to read The Pemberley books (after seeing them here). Great suggestions!!

    ReplyDelete