4/2/13

cranberry, blueberry, orange scones

Hello!  First of all, thank you for the Easter tradition suggestions.  I especially love that all of them involve sweets- pancake breakfasts, krispy kreme deliveries, etc.  YUM YUM.

Speaking of YUM, today I am sharing the scones that I made for Easter morning.  I decided to make them on a whim, and I must say they are delicious- and easy!  Could help that a majority of the scone  comes from a Trader Joe's Buttermilk Pancake/Baking mix, but who's really complaining?!  (As an aside, check back on Friday for a post on some of my Trader Joe's favorites...the mix will definitely make the list!)  Give these a try next time you need a special breakfast treat!

scones

mix


Cranberry, Blueberry, and Orange Scones
Recipe from Trader Joe's!

Ingredients:

  • 3 3/4 C. Trader Joe's Baking Mix (see photo above)
  • 1/4 C. salted butter
  • 3 Tbs. sugar
  • 1. C cold milk
  • Dried fruit (I used 1/2 C. each of dried cranberries and blueberries)
  • 1 orange (zest and juice)
  • Flour (for kneading)

Directions:

  1. If you are using dried fruit, add fruit to a bowl of warm water and let it soak for at least 10 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 400.
  3. Add baking mix and sugar to a large bowl. 
  4. Using a pastry knife, cut butter into the mix until lumps resemble a coarse meal.  (I don't have a pastry knife, so I just cut the butter into small pieces and then used my fingers to create the right texture.)
  5. Add the milk and stir together until moistened.  
  6. Add the zest and juice of the orange to the mixture and fold in dried fruit.  
  7. Place dough on a floured surface and knead 5 times to form a ball.  Form dough into a 8 inch circle with a slight dome in the center.  
  8. Cut dough into 8 wedges.  (This made huge scones- I might cut them into smaller pieces next time.)
  9. Place wedges onto greased sheet pan about 1 inch apart.  Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
  10. Serve warm with butter, jelly, or clotted cream.
Enjoy!
xo,

No comments:

Post a Comment