5/21/13

cuban style black beans

A few weeks ago, (with the upcoming move looming) Josh and I attempted to eat only what was left in our pantry.  I can't claim this worked for long (there are only so many times you can eat pasta before you are dying for something fresh and green), but we did enjoy black beans and rice for several days.

Though I am no expert on Cuban food, I have had my fair share of authentic Cuban black beans.  This is a great recipe for when you want a quick fix (ie: you don't have time to simmer the beans for 24 hours), and it gets better with each day of leftovers.  If you are like me, you probably have most of the ingredients for this recipe in your pantry (really, why did I have 4 cans of black beans?!?)  Give it a try next time you have a hankering for a quick Cuban meal.



Cuban Style Black Beans
recipe adapted from the Flat Belly Diet Cookbook

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbs. olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped (as always, I used my handy pre-chopped garlic)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 2 cans (15 ozs each) no-salt-added black beans
  • 1/2 c. orange juice
  • 1 Tbs. orange zest (I threw this in last time and it really added to the flavor of the beans)
  • 4 Tbs. green onions, chopped (optional)
  • Brown rice (optional)
  • 1 avocado (optional)
Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. (le creuset with a lid is perfect for this!)  Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute or until garlic browns.  
  2. Stir in the cumin and cook for 1 minute longer or until fragrant.
  3. Add the beans, orange juice, and orange zest and reduce heat to low.  Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.
  4. With the back of a wooden spoon, smash some of the beans into the sauce during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
  5. Serve with rice (if desired) and top with green onions and avocado.
Enjoy!
xo,

1 comment: