11/5/13

homemade chicken pad thai

You know how every know and then a craving hits that can't be satisfied with an imitation?  Like when all you want is a coke and all you can find is a diet coke or coke zero...nothing good can come of it.  That is usually how I feel about most things in life.  I like the real deal and avoid diet, low cal, fat-free, etc. at all costs.  UNTIL, I found this low-cal version of chicken pad thai from the Flat Belly Diet Cookbook.  I avoided making this for a long time thinking it could never measure up to "real pad thai."  Luckily for me, I was wrong.  It is delicious, low in calories, and totally satisfied my craving for thai food.  
Give it a try, and let me know what you think!


Chicken Pad Thai
Original Recipe from The Flat Belly Diet Cookbook

Ingredients:

  • 4 oz. flat rice noodles (I used noodles found at Publix)
  • 4 Tbs. low sodium ketchup
  • 1 Tbs. fish sauce ( I omitted this as I couldn't bring myself to buy something call "fish sauce")
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbs. peanut oil (divided)
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2 inch long strips
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (I used my trusty pre-chopped garlic)
  • 3 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 C. bean sprouts
  • 1/2 C. unsalted peanuts, finely chopped
  • Lime wedges (optional)
Directions:
  1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles according to package directions.
  2. Combine the ketchup, fish sauce, and sugar in a small bowl.  Heat 1 tsp. of the peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the egg and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes or until set.  Transfer egg to a bowl and reserve.
  3. Return the skillet to the stove top and heat the remaining 2 tsp. oil.  Add the chicken and cook, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned and cooke through.  Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds longer.  Stir in the noodles and cooke for 1 minute longer or until hot.  Add the ketchup mixture and cook, tossing for 1 minute.  Stir in scallions and reserved egg and remove from heat.
  4. Divide among 4 plates, garnishing each with 1/4 C. bean sprouts and sprinkling with peanuts.  Serve with lime wedges if desired.
Enjoy!
xo,



1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite dishes, but I never tried making it at home. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete