1/21/14

gluten free chocolate chip cookies

As I mentioned on Friday, I've started trying to eliminate gluten from my diet.  Luckily, a trip to Whole Foods to check out their gluten free section has convinced me that this endeavor just might be possible AND enjoyable.  (Check back for Josh's thoughts on the enjoyable part...let's just say he is a very sweet husband.)

Obviously the first thing I had to assess in my gluten free quest was chocolate chip cookie dough options.  Now, I love chocolate chip cookie dough so much that I often make the dough and never actually bake the cookies.  AND, I'm also a snob about my dough.  I don't generally do the slice and bake variety, opting for homemade dough as my vice of choice.  For my first attempts at gluten free living, however, I decided to give slice and bake a try.  

I wound up with two brands - Pillsbury and Immaculate Baking Company.  Both are gluten free, and the only difference is that the Immaculate is the break and bake style and the Pillsbury requires you to scoop out the dough.  (Tough life, I know.)  



I was a little concerned with the look of the Immaculate cookies when they first came out of the oven.  They seemed too shiny - almost fake.  The Pillsbury, on the other hand, looked like your normal cookie.  I never would have suspected it wasn't a regular slice and bake from the Pillsbury line.  


After intensive taste testing (by a very scientific panel consisting of our little household of two), we haven't reached a consensus.  I deemed the Immaculate the winner.  They are doughy, soft, and delicious (once you get past the shiny look.)  The Pillsbury seemed to have a little grainy after-taste that I couldn't get past.  Josh's opinion was that neither lived up to his expectations and after participating in the obligatory bite of each... he chose ice-cream instead.  



While I don't think it's really fair to pit cookie against cookie (what's there really to complain about?!), I would recommend Immaculate over Pillsbury.  If I've learned nothing else from my past 48 hours of gluten free living it's that these ingredients come at a premium, and recommendations for brands and products are invaluable.  


Do you have any favorite gluten free brands or products you love?  I've also tried these glutino wafers and these back to nature rice crackers, and I love them both.  Verdict's still out on gluten free living, but for now I'm glad to know I don't have to give up my cookies and cookie dough.

xo,

6 comments:

  1. I am waiting for the verdict on how the cookie DOUGH tastes. Who cares about the BAKED cookie.....???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not gluten free, but I do try to monitor my carbs. One of my favorite low-carb and GF side dishes is polenta! It is super easy to make, you can prepare it in a lot of different ways, and it's tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my best friends has celiac and we've decided the best GF cookies are these from the back of the Trader Joe's rolled oats bag: http://www.motherlylaw.com/motherly-law/2013/04/oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe-gluten-free-amazing.html

    And the dough is delicious too ;)

    Trader Joe's coming to Jax soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the record, I did my own taste test of the Immaculate cookie dough today.... which also said it is dairy free... how do they do that?!?! It was.... good. But not as good as homemade! I will have to go try the trader joe's recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie, have you seen Cup4Cup flour? This is a gluten free flour substitute developed by Thomas Keller (of French Laundry and Per Se) in the French Laundry kitchen for their customers with celiac. I haven't tried it, but to be honest, if Thomas Keller is willing to bake with it at the French Laundry, then I bet it makes killer chocolate chip cookies.... although it will be more work than scooping it out of a tub...

    ReplyDelete