3/11/14

Baked Shrimp Scampi

Whenever I don't know what to make for dinner, I turn to Ina Garten.  I've been working my way through every one of her cookbooks, and I haven't found a recipe that disappoints yet.  Last week, I was feeling particularly uninspired, and I flipped to her recipe for baked shrimp scampi.  It does require a little prep work, but it can be made in advance and popped in the oven 15 minutes before dinner.  I cut the recipe in half since I'm not a fan of having leftover seafood.  We've had it twice in the past week, and each time was divine.  I've served it with everything from cheesy polenta to brussels sprouts, and I don't think there is much that wouldn't pair well...it's definitely a keeper.


Baked Shrimp Scampi
Recipe from Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics

Ingredients:

  • 2 lbs. (12-15 count) shrimp, cleaned, deveined, and butterflied.
  • 3 Tbs. olive oil
  • 2 Tbs. dry white wine
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 12 Tbs. unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), room temperature
  • 4 tsp. minced garlic (4 cloves)
  • 1/4 C. minced shallots (I've left these out both times, and it's still been delicious)
  • 3 Tbs. minced fresh parsley
  • 1 tsp. minced fresh rosemary leaves
  • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
  • 2 Tbs. fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2/3 C. panke (Japanese bread crumbs)  (I use a gluten free corn based bread crumb - hence the yellow in the picture above...still delicious!)
  • Lemon wedges, for serving
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425.
  2. Place shrimp in a mixing bowl and toss gently with olive oil, wine, 2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper.  Allow to sit at room temperature while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
  3. In a small bowl, mash softened butter with garlic, shallots, parsley, rosemary, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolk, panko, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper until combined.
  4. Starting from outer edge of an oval gratin dish, arrange shrimp in a single layer, cut side down and tails facing towards the center of the dish.  Pour the remaining olive oil mixture over shrimp. 
  5. Spread butter mixture evenly over the shrimp. (This is a little tough as the butter mixture is usually sticky - just spread it across the top of the shrimp with your fingers and make sure each shrimp gets coated.)
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
  7. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over shrimp and serve immediately.
Enjoy!

xo,



1 comment: