6/3/14

Recipe: Lemon Blueberry Bread

A recent delivery from Black Hog Farm included free blueberries.  I'm not usually a huge blueberry fan (outside of muffins that is,) but these blueberries were delicious.  So delicious, that when the batch was gone, I started craving them in everything!  I promptly placed my next order from Black Hog Farm, and you better believe I included TWO orders of blueberries - one to eat plain, and one for a batch of lemon blueberry bread.  I'm not sure exactly where or when I decided lemon blueberry bread would be the fate of the second batch of blueberries, but I'm sure glad it was.  This bread was the perfect treat after a morning run, or it has just enough lemon-y zing to wake you up as a mid-afternoon snack.  It's not too sweet and not too tart...in fact it's just right.


Lemon Blueberry Bread
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home

Ingredients:

For Bread:
  • 1/3 c. butter, melted
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 3 Tbs. lemon juice
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 c. flour (I used Cup for Cup Gluten Free)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 c. milk (I used heavy cream  - not the healthiest, but I needed to use it!)
  • 1 c. fresh blueberries (You could use frozen as well)
  • 2 Tbs. grated lemon peel

For Glaze:

  • 2 Tbs. lemon juice
  • 1/4 c. sugar (I used powdered sugar and increased to 1/2 c.)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. In a large bowl beat butter, sugar, lemon juice and eggs.  Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.  Combine flour mixture with egg mixture gradually, alternating with milk, stirring well after each addition.
  3. Transfer batter to a greased bread pan.  Bake at 350 for 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
  4. Prepare glaze by combining lemon juice and sugar.  Drizzle over warm bread.
I especially enjoyed this bread toasted with salted, whipped butter.  My mouth's watering just thinking about it.  

Enjoy!

Blueberries were definitely my "muse" for this recipe.  Check back tomorrow for my fashion "muse" for the week.  Even better? Link up with Team Muse (Ann Elliott and Pampers & Pearls)  tomorrow to share your muse for the week. 


xo,

3 comments:

  1. Twins today! This looks so yummy, definitely on my list to try for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. annnd I have now pinned you! My hubby would love this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY, I love lemon anything, especially with blueberry. YUM!

    ReplyDelete